looking for some tips + tricks for your next adventure that don't break the bank (or your finally-developed self-care habits)?! i've compiled everything i found during my favorite trips around the globe so you don't have to!
tulum is more than just a spot for models and nyc creatives to escape. it's actually a little slice of paradise - a place where you can bike, eat yummy, healthy food, do yoga and sleep on the beach. sound like you want to be transported there now? same.
tulum is a magical spot - but there are two different sides of it. first, there are beachfront hotels along one main road. second, there's tulum "town" which is about a 15-minute bike ride away, though closer to more restaurants and bars.
we didn't realize this when booking, and stayed closer to the town (which led to many many adventures). if i did it again, i would likely stay along the beach. but, our hotel was nice, inexpensive and had a small pool. it was called mango tulum hotel.
getting from the airport to tulum isn't a walk in the park. it's about a 1.5 hour drive. i used happy shuttle cancun, which was a really reliable service and a private transfer was about $100. i wouldn't recommend renting a car - the streets are quite small near the beach and biking is much better.
if you'd like to rent a bike, there are plenty of spots both in the main town and around the beach to do it. it's super cheap, and a safe way to get around.
oh man, so many great places to eat! here were some of my favorites:
- hartwood: everyone and their mom has heard of this place...but it's that good. waiters bring the 10-menu item around to each person on a blackboard before ordering. all seating is outside and wafting in the smell of the wood-burning oven. yummm. get reservations weeks in advance!
- the real coconut: yummiest, healthiest breakfast. it's all the way at the end of the beach strip, but come here after a yoga class at
- zamas: come here for drinks, yummy lunch and beautiful views. you could also stay here and relax on the beach during the day, too.
- mivada: have some healthy tapas and green juices on the beach at mivada. it's got gorgeous decor and lots of great lounge areas.
tulum is all about relaxation, yoga, green juices and a hike or two. don't spend too much time scheduling things, but here are some can't miss activities:
- take yoga everywhere - especially maya tulum
- go to the mayan ruins (early - before the heat and crowds!)
- go salsa dancing at le zebra