looking for some tips + tricks for your next adventure that don't break the bank (or your finally-developed self-care habits)?! i've compiled everything i found during my favorite trips around the globe so you don't have to!
belize is a magical little place that's perfect for a quick getaway. the people are kind (they all speak english - so no language barrier), and the scenery is beautiful. I went to belize in between two jobs as a solo trip, and it was exactly what i needed.
i decided that i wanted an inexpensive, relaxing getaway. so, i ended up on caye caulker - an island off the coast of belize. it's a tiny spot where people walk around barefoot, drink from coconuts and knows everyone by name (there's only one coffee shop on the entire island!).
i stayed at this adorable, colorful hostel right on the water named yuma's house. if you have the chance to - stay here! it's super clean, central and the owners are extremely friendly. it also has a bunch of outdoor space and hammocks for relaxing.
there isn't much need for transportation on caye caulker - except bikes and your legs.
but, in order to get there, you'll need to take a ferry. it's easy to get a cab / split one with people from your flight to the ferry station (about $20usd). ferry's run about every 30 minutes - 1 hour and cost $40 round trip. the ferry will leave you right on the central part of the island (next to yuma's house!).
since there aren't too many options, i ended up going back to the same places every day. here were some of my favorites:
- ice n beans: an adorable coffee shop that serves real iced coffee (yes!), and often gives out free mini donuts if you get there early. perfect spot for reading.
- the split: this is the main area to hang out; it's more like a divey-outdoor bar, but they have some
- food trucks: there are little stands everywhere selling fresh fruit, coconuts to drink from, and even tacos.
- errolyn's house of fry jacks: this is waaay far off the wellness train, but these are some of the best breakfast sandwiches i've ever had. takeout only - so order from the little shack and bring it to the beach.
as i mentioned, caye caulker is small. there aren't too many crazy things to do here but here we go:
- go on a snorkeling boat tour - some of the best in the world.
- do lots of beach yoga
- spend a day at the split
- spend a day in amberguis caye (caye caulker's fancier cousin!)